3.08.2011

an apple a day.

 went to my doctor for the first time in years last week.

yes, i see my lady doctor and the dentist and the eye doctor but i don't see my general one on a regular basis. in fact, i try to avoid it all costs. i think the last time i went there was like 6 years ago!

i've been having some weird things happening with my hands. weak. tingly. achy. hadn't really thought much of it. thought maybe it was just the weather and i needed to suck it up. just left the caps loose on my shampoo bottles in the shower and little things like that. however, i was having a hard time opening ben's sippy cups and juice bottles. again, just thought it was wimpy shan with some arthritis or whatever. but then i started to notice that my hands would go numb. i could be reading in bed and they would go all pins and needles on me. okay. i'm sitting wrong. would just reposition and keep going. would wake up in the middle of the night with numb hands. fine, i'll stop sleeping with my wrists curled under me...

well, last weekend i asked nick to open a bottle of juice because i couldn't for the life of me get it open. i guess it was extremely easy to open and he freaked out. why can't you open that? how long has this been going on? what other symptoms do you have? i fess up and he's like you need to see the doctor now. what if you have rheumatoid arthritis? leave it to medical professions to expect the worst. sigh, he's right. i should go. i'm silly.

so i go. and the doc tells me he's 95% sure it's just carpal tunnel. phew but wha? so i get some shots and a prescription and i'm off. tells me i don't have to come back unless it gets worse or doesn't improve with the meds. and surgery if i start dropping things. oh and i have to wear these uber sexy wrist braces to bed at night. pure awesomeness.

just hoping it helps. was much better right after my visit. but then again, i had the following day off. today it's been hit or miss. fingers crossed the sexy braces and meds do their job and i don't have some crazy steroid injections or surgery in my future....

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Happy to hear it was nothing serious, and Nick made you go to the doctor :)

Laura Vigliarolo said...

I have a blue brace for one hand and a black one for the other, glad you are ok.