4.06.2009

first of all,

my husband has been amazing. don't know what i'm going to do when he goes back to work next week. he has been awesome all day, but totally saving my ass at night. i'm a sound, sound sleeper. everyone told me that would change when i had baby. not so much.
last night, for example, i was dead to the world. out cold. so nick dealt with gassy mr. ben while i was in dreamland. okay, i don't remember any dreams. but i was out. nick even said he tried to wake me a few times so i could go pump. how great that i had a conversation with him... in my sleep?! scary.

since i've been a slacker, i will just update some little bits that i don't want to forget...

-stopped actual breastfeeding. my boobs could not handle it. have been pumping only for over a week and it's working out well. have already started to freeze some pouches. and is so helpful when i'm passed out and unwakeable {what a word?}. otherwise, mr. bean might starve! still need to find a decent nursing bra. these girls are out of control!

-benjamin has clogged tear ducts. called the pediatrician on friday to confirm. poor wee man could barely open his eye that morning. were told just to use a washcloth to clean it regularly and massage it. nick looked it up online and a few websites recommended putting some breast milk in the eye. what? we'll just massage the duct thank you very much. well, that was the plan until nick accidently dropped some in his eye before a feeding. guess what? it freaking worked. so they're on the mend. you can kinda see the goop in this picture...


-ventured out of the house. twice. went to target and the grocery store one day. and babies r us the next. very nice. a bit tiring. but good. wishing the weather was better so we could go on walks. hopefully, it will warm up by the end of the week.

-had our newborn photo shoot with miss robin. they're awesome. not sharing just yet. want to work out baby announcements first. then i'll share the link. her website has been upgraded so the family can purchase pics that they might want directly online. so cool.

-had my first glass of wine! a nice romantical dinner with the hubs. courtesy of mr. jason. picture courtesy of nicholas! not sure what the wine was... besides yummy. and the dinner was home made chili mac. so sweet of them.


the wine kicked my ass. i'm so out of shape. i was halfway through the glass and hotter than heck! thinking we might go to a wine tasting next monday. not sure yet. it'll be nick's first day back to work. we'll see how the week goes....

-found out the mr. ben's feet are too big for newborn socks...

picture isn't the greatest... you can see that his heel clearly goes past the black section that a normal newbie's heel would be. hoping the socks we bought him will now fit!

-and a cute benny bean picture just because... oh and we've figured out where a few of his traits came from. my dad swears ben has his hair. and feet. nick's dad and lil man share the same eyes. it was kinda crazy when we realized that saturday night. i mumbled it to nick and two seconds later his dad made a comment. strange. nick definitely gave ben his ears. and i've been told he has my round face. and my mom swears he has her first nose. ;o)


-promise to try to be a better blogger from now on...

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Sweet pictures, thanks for the update.

Colleen said...

that's it. I'm getting in my car and driving to Indiana and I'm scooping him up! That first picture just completely melted me (clogged tear ducts & all! actually, I couldn't even see it!) and then that big little foot! SO cute. Don't try to stop me. I have your address & a GPS!

I had the same breast feeding routine. I will refrain from details. Suffice to say, pumping & bottle feeding worked PERFECTLY. Glad you are able to settle into that routine. I had to giggle after reading of the accidental breast milk in the eye! Makes you wonder if that's how someone discovered it in the first place, lol!

And YAY for sleeping!! Savor in it; as he gets older, you will notice you'll sleep lighter. It's to prepare for his first prom date when you're waiting up late for him to come home. :)

I'll stop jabbering... especially since I'm hopping in my car right now to drive there and I can save some of this chatter for then. I'll be there in like 2 days to scoop him up. I'll bring wine.

Liz Goldhawk said...

lol Colleen!!! If you go, I'll try to meet you there. I'm sure that's exactly what Shannon and Nick want--pop in guests from out of town... ;)

Love the pictures, and the little stories/updates! Thanks Shannon!

amy said...

thanks for sharing the pics of that beauty! You're taking me back 13 years (my first "baby" becomes a teenager next month!) with your stories though- he had the plugged tear ducts too- we did the massaging- took forever to clear up- had we only known about the breast milk cure! glad that worked for you!

I remember realizing how much Roman looked like my Dad- we laughed because during the whole pregnancy Geo. and I talked about which one of US he'd look like- never considered anyone else!

good luck with those feet! Roman never wore shoes as a baby because we could never get them on his whopper feet! Geo. always joked that they were his good "foundation"!

Good luck pumping too. I didn't have boob problems- they were "out of control" like you say but it wasn't really painful but with Carson he wouldn't nurse. I had nursed Roman for 11 months and felt the need to do the same for Carson so I pumped the whole time- not easy and I ended up having to supplement. Hey- we do what we can as Moms! I have a feeling Baby Ben has what he needs and will be fine!

take care!

Alison said...

Such cute pics - love his little 'big'feet pic - soon he won't want to keep socks on : ). Thanks for the update - and hope the weather improves for you to get out. Good luck for next week when Nick goes back to work ! ( I'll check in again when we get back : ) ).

Carrie said...

Hey, I want in on the road trip if everyone is going!

Anonymous said...

Yup, I did the breast milk in the eye for Emma. My baby nurse told me to do it, Dr. confirmed. Thanks for the update. Cute pics!

-danielle