6.13.2005

why oh why...

do people have to give me such grief for not wanting children...right now?!
i really don't understand. can't they respect our decision? i mean i don't walk around telling people that they are stupid for having children. it's a personal decision. a choice that most people make...to have children or not to have children. honestly, i think that people should be happy for us. we know that we aren't ready for them yet. that there is so much more we want to do and accomplish before we change our lives completely. and that we are way too selfish right now to bring a baby into the picture.
who are they to judge me and tell me how i should live my life? considering i think that we are being very responsible and grown up about the whole thing.... it's not like i said that we would NEVER have children. that hasn't been decided. nick and i want to wait and will re-evaluate where we want to be in a few years.
some may say, why rationalize? because i am a crazy, type a person. i want it all spelled out in front of me. that is why! and i'm not saying that i would turn into a lunatic if that 99.9% accurate pill doesn't do it's job....we would be happy and hope to have a healthy baby.
it's just not something we are planning. why rush? if and when it is meant to be it will happen. it also doesn't mean that i have something against children! why do people always assume this? yes, i have a problem with the undisciplined child running and screaming and jumping into our booth at dinner...but not most children! i am happy to babysit for friends and family. because it is nice to know that i can give them back. having children is a no turning back situation and we want to make sure that we are ready for such a life altering experience. :)

i love this blog...it feels so much better to get this stuff off of my chest! and i wouldn't do it otherwise since i'm not a huge fan of pen and paper!!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Just putting in my 2 cents...

Don't let anyone "guilt" you into having children. Take time to be a couple and enjoy it. I say this because I have been on that side of the fence too. I desperately wanted to wait and (in fact) my Life Master Plan included at least a 5 year wait before thinking about kids. Obviously, it didn't work that way for me (nothing like falling in that 0.1% LOL!). It's a big adjustment. It is a wonderful thing, don't get me wrong, but it changes things.

I guess, to cut this short, don't feel bad about wanting to wait. This is something you and Nick will have to decide when you are ready. If it happens before then, you'll do fine. If not, wait until you're ready! You'll know when you get that baby fever. LOL!

Mandy said...

I hear you! I am coming up on my 3rd anniversary and get lots of the same msgs from people. Argh...